What can I complain about?

Complaints ABOUT ESV are generally related to ESV policy, procedure, systems or the behaviour of an ESV employee involved in service delivery.

ESV is committed to a providing an integrated complaints handling process and we welcome your feedback. If you are not satisfied with the service you have received from us, please let us know. It gives us the opportunity to fix the problem and improve our service to you and to others.

If you are dissatisfied with the service provided to you by ESV, the Victorian Ombudsman is an independant and impartial free service available to any member of the public. The Ombudsman's contact details are:

The Victorian Ombudsman
Level 9, North Tower
459 Collins Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Telephone: 03 9613 6222
Toll free (from regional areas): 1800 806 314
Fax: 03 9614 0246
Reception hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday

Complaints TO ESV are part of ESV's role regulating the safety and technical compliance of energy supply, installations, appliances and pipelines. There may be instances where members of the community witness something they determine to be unsafe or warrant investigation, and possible prosecution from ESV. We want to hear about these incidents, and they can be reported via our complaints form.

Other complaints in relation to gas and electrical issues are handled by various agencies in Victoria. Refer to the table below if you are unsure which agency you should direct your complaint to.

Gas and electrical complaints handled by Victorian agencies


Dispute resolution agency

Failure to supply a Certificate of Electrical Safety (COES) for electrical work

Energy Safe Victoria

All issues in relation to safety and technical compliance of energy supply, installations, appliances and pipelines

Energy Safe Victoria

Disputes in relation to fees charged

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Failure to provide Certificate of Compliance for plumbing or gasfitting work

Plumbing Industry Commission

Disputes regarding electricity or gas bills

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

Lack of electricity or gas supply

Your regional electricity or gas distributor (refer to your last bill for your distributor's contact details)

Quality of electrical work (excluding safety issues)

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Quality of plumbing or gasfitting work (excluding safety issues)

Plumbing Industry Commission

Gas leaks or emergencies

132 771

Report an electrical fault

1800 000 922

Making a complaint

The first point of contact for making a complaint ABOUT ESV is with ESV. It allows us to address your concerns directly and resolve them as efficiently and effectively as possible. In addition to resolving your complaint, by raising an issue with us we have an opportunity to make changes that may benefit other members of the community.

To lodge a complaint TO ESV about an unsafe practice or gas or electrical incident, the most important step is to collect as much information as possible. This may include photographs, supporting documents, names, dates, times, witnesses etc.

All complaints either ABOUT ESV or TO ESV must be lodged in writing using one of the methods noted below. This will ensure a member of the ESV team is responsible for replying to your complaint and it is directed to the right person or department.

Online: Complaints form (.pdf version)


Mail: Complaints Officer
         PO Box 262
         Collins Street West Victoria 8007

Tips for making a written complaint

Your complaint should be clear on the main facts and provide as much detail as needed to understand and resolve the problem, but no more.

It should be set out in logical order, and include:

  • The date
  • Your name, address, telephone number and preferred means of contact
  • A description of the issue or problem 
  • Relevant dates, names and times relating to the incident
  • Details of any telephone conversations and / or meetings 
  • Any explanations you think are important
  • Copies of relevant documents / evidence (photographs etc)
  • What action you think should be taken to resolve your problem

It is useful to indicate what action you think ESV should take to resolve the problem. If your request is reasonable and realistic, you are more likely to be satisfied with ESV's response.

Keep records of all the letters you send as well as details of phone conversations etc

If you have not received a response within 7 days, please call ESV on 03 9203 9700 to follow up on the progress of your complaint.

Your privacy

Information you provide in connection with your complaints will be handled in accordance with all applicable privacy laws. Your personal details will only ever be disclosed to another party with your consent or if otherwise permitted under privacy laws.

You can access personal information ESV holds about you by contacting the Freedom of Information (FOI) Officer.

Our Complaints Handling Policy

ESV has a strict Complaints Handling Policy. The principles in this policy apply to all ESV staff in their dealings with all customers and external companies. It has been developed to support and as an expansion of the ESV Customer Service Charter.

It sets out the principals that ESV has adopted for the management of feedback, compliments, suggestions or complaints - received in relation to the services provided and the experiences of the delivery of those services by ESV. It describes the principles that we follow to recover the experience when our service delivery has not met expectations.

ESV recognises the importance of a well managed complaints handling process as part of providing a quality customer service. We are accountable for our actions and decisions, and customers and other external parties have the right to complain about us and seek remedy for decisions that affect them.

This complaints handling procedure was developed in accordance with AS ISO10002–2006: Customer satisfaction—Guidelines for complaints handling in organisations and the Ombudsman Victoria’s guide to complaint handling for Victorian Public Sector Agencies.

Click here to view our complaints handling policy

Rights of appeal

Where we are unable to resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, we will explain why and let you know what other options you have. These options may include:

  • Asking for a review of a decision. This may involve another, independent ESV employee who was not involved in the initial investigation reviewing the case
  • Contacting the Victorian Ombudsman

External agencies' contact details

Below is a list various complaint and dispute resolution agencies that may be able to assist with your complaint.



The Victorian Ombudsman

The Ombudsman enquires into or investigates administrative actions taken by a Government department or public statutory body or by any member of staff of a municipal council.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Promotes consumer protection and ethical trading and ensures that consumer protection laws are properly enforced.

Dispute Settlement Centre - Victorian Department of Justice

Provide an informal, impartial, accessible, low cost dispute resolution service to the Victorian community.

Energy and Water Ombudsman

Investigates and resolves disputes between Victorian electricity, gas and water customers and their providers.

Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission of Victoria

Responsible for eliminating discrimination in Victoria. Offers information, education and consultancy services, conducts research and provides legal and policy advice.

Privacy Victoria 

The key body regulating the way Victorian government agencies and local councils collect and handle personal information.

WorkSafe Complaints Team

Respond to complaints/disputes escalated from the WorkCover Agents and the self-insured employers.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

Resolves disputes and makes executive decisions on behalf of the State Government in a number of miscellaneous areas.

Magistrates Court of Victoria

The Court's objective is to provide an efficient, modern and responsive Court of summary jurisdiction designed to meet the needs of the community.

County Court of Victoria

The County Court can hear matters at first instance and in some circumstances on appeal.

Supreme Court of Victoria

The Supreme Court of Victoria is the superior Court in the State. The Court is divided into two divisions - the Court of Appeal and the Trial Division.