Electric Line Clearance and Bushfire Mitigation
The Electricity Safety (Electric Line Clearance) Regulations (2015) include the Code of Practice for Electric Line Clearance and:
- prescribe standards and practices to be adopted and observed in tree cutting or removal in the vicinity of electric lines and the keeping of the whole or any part of a tree clear of electric lines
- prescribe management procedures to minimise danger of electric lines causing fire or electrocution
- other matters with respect to the maintenance of electric lines
- provide for management plans relating to compliance with the Code
- provide for other matters authorised under the Act relating to electric line clearance
These Regulations are made under sections 151, 151A and 157 of the Electricity Safety Act 1998.
Sections 84 and 84A to 84D of the Electricity Safety Act 1998 specify who is responsible for keeping trees clear of electric lines.
In regard to public lands, Section 84C specifies that “a council responsible for the management of public land in an area declared under section 81 is responsible for the keeping of the whole or any part of a tree situated on the land clear of an electric line that is not a private electric line”.
Section 81 specifies that:
(1) The Governor in Council, by Order published in the Government Gazette, may declare an area of land in an urban area for the purposes of this Part.
(2) An Order under subsection (1) must contain a description sufficient to identify the land concerned which may include a description by reference to a map held by Energy Safe Victoria.
(3) Energy Safe Victoria must make a copy of any map referred to in an Order under subsection (1) available at its office during business hours for any person to inspect free of charge.
Energy Safe Victoria has identified the following Victorian Government Gazettes in which such Orders in Council were published:
- No. 88-22 October 1986, pages 4079 - 4082
- No. 96-12 November 1986, pages 4354 - 4356
- No. 101-3 December 1986, page 4595
- G1-7 January 1987, page 45
- G 49-14 December 1995, page 3552
CLICK HERE to view copies of these gazettes.
To assist the community, Energy Safe Victoria is providing access to these maps via its web site.
Click on the following link for complete access to the Maps of Declared Areas.
Further information for home owners on planting trees near powerlines is available via the links below.