What to do in a gas emergency
Gas incidents are quite rare but do occur from time to time. To report gas leaks or other gas emergencies call the emergency number on your gas bill for assistance at any time.
In case of fire call 000 immediately
If it is safe to do so:
- Try to extinguish flames using a fire blanket or an appropriate extinguisher
- Turn off the gas at the gas meter or cylinder
Never ignore your senses
If you smell gas take the following precautions:
- Turn off the gas at the meter (natural gas users) or at the tank or cylinder (LP gas users) but only if safe to do so
- Extinguish all flames and do not smoke or strike matches
- Do not operate electrical switches or devices
- Inside a dwelling open doors and windows to ventilate the area
- Keep people away from the affected area
Natural gas leaks
If you suspect the escape of natural gas within your home, contact your gas distributor immediately. Their contact details will be on your last gas bill.
Multinet Gas 132 691
Australian Gas Networks 1800 427 532
AusNet Services 136 707
If you are unsure of your distributor, click HERE and enter your postcode to find your distributior.
Multinet Gas covers inner Melbourne and the outer East, the Yarra Ranges and South Gippsland. Australian Gas Networks covers north and south-eastern Melbourne and northern and eastern Victoria. AusNet Services covers central and western Victoria.
LP gas leaks
Most LP gas storage cylinders and tanks show the name of the gas supplier and emergency contact details. Keep these details close at hand and use them if you suspect your cylinder or tank is leaking.
For information on preparing the LP gas or natural gas in your house or busines for bushfires, click HERE.