Freedom of Information (FOI)
ESV is established under the Energy Safe Victoria Act 2005 as the technical safety regulator of gas, electricity and pipelines in Victoria. At times members of the public request ESV provide information and documents in its possession. The Freedom of Information Act 1982 is a legal mechanism for obtaining access to such documents.
The Director of Energy Safety is the principal officer authorised to make decisions on requests for access to documents.
Freedom of Information (FOI) – Part II Statements
In accordance with Part II of the Freedom of Information Act 1982, Energy Safe Victoria is required to publish certain statements in respect of its functions and processes.
Read the FOI Part II Statements.
Release of Information – policies and procedures
On occasion it is appropriate or mandatory for ESV to release documents outside of the freedom of information (FOI) framework. ESV’s Release of Information: Policies and Procedures document explains the circumstances where ESV may disclose, or be required to disclose, documents where a formal FOI request has not been made.
Where an FOI request is necessary, this document also sets out information on:
- procedures and requirements for making a valid request
- documents that are exempt from disclosure under FOI
- access charges
- review and appeal rights.
Making an FOI request
A valid FOI request must be:
- In writing
- Sufficiently clear to enable ESV to conduct a thorough and constructive search for the documents sought, and
- Accompanied by an application fee of 2 fee units – from 1 July 2018 the fee is $28.90 (unless the fee is waived or reduced due to hardship).
We accept payment by cheque (made out to Energy Safe Victoria) or credit card (VISA and Mastercard only). Payment options are set out in ESV’s FOI request form:
- Download the ESV F19 FOI Request form.
FOI applications should be addressed to:
The Freedom of Information Officer
Energy Safe Victoria
PO Box 262
Collins Street West VIC 8007
For further information about Freedom of Information, please visit www.foi.vic.gov.au.