Is it an emergency?
If you have a gas or electrical emergency, click for more information:
Energy safety regulation in Victoria
We are responsible for ensuring that:
- electrical installations and infrastructure are safe and compliant
- electricity safety regimes are managed to meet the challenges of changing technologies and industry structures
- new and second hand gas and electrical equipment meet agreed safety criteria and comply with appropriate standards, including energy efficiency and
- electrical installation workers and inspectors are appropriately licensed.
The (VBA) is also an energy safety regulator in Victoria. It is responsible for regulating domestic gas fitting installation work and the issuing of licences to gasfitters (as well as all plumbing and building work).
Energy Safe Victoria assists with complaints about gas, electricity and pipeline issues which are related to safety or technical compliance.
Making a complaint or reporting a safety concern
When you make a complaint, it is important to provide as much factual information and evidence as required to enable the problem or issue to be understood and resolved. This should include the outcome that you want.
Safety concern complaints
Complaints must be lodged in writing by completing our online form here:
Report a safety issue or non-compliance
Use this online form to report a safety issue, non-compliance or complaint.
Reporting non-compliant electrical equipment
Your report is important to Energy Safe, as this helps us in monitoring trends and taking action as appropriate, including alerting the public about products or appliances found to be unsafe.
You may choose to provide us with an anonymous complaint. Energy Safe accepts these complaints and deals with them on their merits. In some cases it is not practical to investigate a complaint if Energy Safe is not able to contact you for further information or disclose your identity.
Where we are unable to resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, we will attempt to explain why and let you know of other options that may be available to you.
You may also request an internal review of your complaint by Energy Safe.
Acceptable grounds for review of a complaint are:
- Energy Safe errors in handling the complaint
- Decisions made are inappropriate under the circumstances or
- New information or evidence is available to justify a review.
Complaint form - if you don't have internet access
A hard copy of Energy Safe's complaint form is also available:
Mail the completed form to:
Energy Safe Victoria
PO Box 262
COLLINS STREET WEST VIC 8007
Complaints handling policy and procedure
Energy Safe's Complaints handling policy provides more information about the type of complaints we accept, our process for handling complaints and the principles by which we operate when handling complaints.
- Complaints handling policy:
- Complaints handling procedure:
Date: 29/02/2024 1:25
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 09 January 2024