Energy Safe Victoria logo


Stay safe when preparing a property for sale, rent or personal use.

Gas supply to new properties

Natural gas and LP Gas are popular choices for home heating, water heating and cooking as well as for industry and commerce.

If you require gas connection at your new property, a builder or consultant must ensure that a gas supply is available and the gas installation has been certified prior to handover.

Arranging gas connection

To have gas connected to your premises, a licensed gasfitter is required to apply for a complex gas installation with ESV or a compliance certificate with the VBAExternal Link depending on the type of installation.

Compliance certificate or complex gas installation?

Compliance certificates typically apply to most residential dwellings, apartments in buildings up to three-storeys and single shops.

Complex gas installations typically apply to apartments in high rise buildings, motels, hotels, larger commercial buildings, health-care facilities and industrial premises.

Date: 29/02/2024 2:50

Controlled document

The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.

Reviewed 29 January 2023

Was this page helpful?