Energy Safe Victoria and exemptions
Energy Safe accepts the following exemption applications:
- Regulation 701 of the Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019 – exempting any electrical work or any person from the requirements of the or the relevant Standards
- Exemption to install electric lines on public land – under section 47 of the Electricity Safety Act 1998 (the Act) for persons other than those specified in the Order in Council. Note that the power to grant this type of exemption rests with the Victorian Government and not with Energy Safe. However, Energy Safe will confirm whether applicants require an exemption or whether an existing exemption already applies.
Provided below is information about each exemption type, including how to lodge an exemption application and links to application forms and guidelines.
Regulation 701 exemption
Energy Safe may exempt any electrical work or any person from the requirements of the or the relevant Standards referenced as normative, subject to any conditions specified by Energy Safe (Regulation 701).
The Regulation 701 exemption replaces the 401 exemption under the previous installations regulations.
Regulation 701 exemption applications
Exemption applications must be in writing, and include the following information:
- Applicant’s name, telephone number, business and postal address
- Exemption requested
- Reasons for the exemption
- Relevant technical information, including details showing that the granting of an exemption will not reduce the level of safety from physical injury, fire and electric shock from the level that would be provided under the or the relevant Standards
- A written agreement to the proposed exemption signed by the owner, occupier or controlling body of the land on which the work is to be carried out.
Lodging a Regulation 701 exemption application
- Download a template exemption application and payment form:
Application for exemption
Manager Electrical Installation Safety
Energy Safe Victoria
PO Box 262
Collins Street West VIC 8007
From 1 July 2023 the application fee for a Regulation 701 exemption is $95.24.
- This is equivalent to 5.99 fee units. (The Victorian Government adjusts fee units annually).
- Application fees are non-refundable.
- Payment of the application fee does not mean that an exemption will be granted.
Installation of electric lines on public land
Currently there is an Order in Council in place to exempt other persons from compliance with Section 46, and allow them to install electric lines on public land provided certain requirements are met. These requirements are specified in the Order in Council below.
Guidelines and Order in Council
Energy Safe has produced guidelines about the process to confirm who is permitted to install electric lines on public land. The Electric lines on public land exemption guidelines aims to assist those persons not specifically permitted in the Act and who wish to install electric lines on public land:
Electric lines on public land guideline
Electricity Safety Act 1998, Order in Council – Electric Lines on Public Land Exemption
Enquiries about electric lines on public land
Energy Safe requires that enquiries about installing electric lines on public land are made using the Electric lines on public land exemption application form (below) and include:
- The consent of the public land owner or manager
- The consent of the distribution company whose supply network the electric line will be connected to, and
- A plan illustrating the details of the electrical line to be installed, including but not limited to the operating voltage, cable size, number of cables, intended cable route and map co-ordinates sufficient enough to identify the intended location of the cable.
Electric lines on public land exemption application form
Provide the information requested above, along with your completed form:
Attn: Electric Line on Public Land Enquiries
Energy Safe Victoria
PO Box 262
Collins Street West VIC 8001
Compliance with an exemption
A person to whom an exemption applies must comply with any and all conditions of the exemption imposed by Energy Safe.
Energy Safe may revoke an exemption.
Substantial penalties apply to persons who do not comply with the requirements of the Act or the exemption.
Date: 22/02/2024 5:33
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 15 November 2023