The Traction Industry Electrical Safety RulesThe Orange Book
The Victorian Traction Industry Electrical Safety Rules (The Orange Book) provide the guiding electrical safety principles that support the development and review of companies’ policies and procedures relating to electrical safety.
The Victorian Railway and Tramway Electrical Safety Committee
The Victorian Railway and Tramway Electrical Safety Committee (VRTESC) is established under Section 8 of the . It comprises representatives from Metro Trains, Yarra Trams, the Electrical Trades Union and ESV.
The Committee’s role is to review and update the Victorian Traction Industry Electrical Safety Rules (The Orange Book) and facilitate the electrical safety of electrical distribution systems and high voltage electrical installations in the Victorian Traction Industry.
This is achieved through the provision of recommendations to the Chief Commissioner of Energy Safety on the following:
- the setting of minimum safety standards for work on or near high voltage and low voltage AC and DC electrical installations and the supply network
- changes to the Orange Book arising from incidents that have implications for electrical safety in the Traction Industry, and
- Interpretations / advice on the Electrical Safety Rules.
The Orange Book is reviewed regularly by the VRTESC and republished as required. As workers in the industry, ESV is seeking your comments and suggested improvements on the 2019 edition of The Orange Book.
How to comment
All emailed suggestions or comments should include the following information:
- Subject line: The Orange Book 2019 suggested improvements
- Your name or the name of the person commenting/suggesting a change
- Your company name
- Page number in The Orange Book
- Clause number
- Your comment, and/or
- Suggested alternative text (if required)
Date: 29/02/2024 3:09
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 28 January 2023