Hot-tapping is a procedure that makes a new pipeline connection while the pipeline remains in service, without isolating the gas supply or requiring purging.
This procedure involves attaching a branch connection and valve on the outside of an operating pipeline, and then cutting out the pipe-line wall within the branch and removing the wall section through the valve. This avoids product loss, emissions or disruption of service to customers.
Due to the complexity and risks associated with this type of work not all gasfitters are competent and equipped to perform such work. As a result, prior to carrying out hot-tapping work gasfitters must first apply to Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) for authorisation to perform this work.
Gas Safety (Gas Installation) Regulations 2018 requirement
Division 4—Standards and requirements in relation to hot-tapping work
Regulation 22 Standards and requirements for hot-tapping work
- (1) For the purposes of section 72(1) (relating to standard of work) of the Act, it is a prescribed requirement that a person must—
- (a) before carrying out gasfitting work that is hot-tapping work, apply to Energy Safe Victoria for authorisation to carry out that work; and
- (b) not carry out gasfitting work that is hot-tapping work unless that work is authorised by Energy Safe Victoria.
- (2) For the purposes of section 72(1) of the Act, the prescribed standard for carrying out gasfitting work that is hot-tapping work is the standard determined by Energy Safe Victoria for that work in the authorisation of that work.
- (3) This regulation applies despite anything to the contrary in Division 1.
The gasfitter completing the work must submit a Gas Application via ESV Connect – . ESV will review the application and set conditions of acceptance depending on the complexity of the installation.
If you’re new to GasTrac, watch our series of GasTrac User videos. These short videos will show you how to register for GasTrac, manage your details and lodge new gas applications.
Date: 25/03/2023 17:27
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 29 January 2023