Energy Safe Victoria

Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Mutual recognition in Victoria

Anyone wishing to carry out electrical wiring work in Victoria is required to be licensed or registered by ESV.

Those with an electrical licence or registration from another Australian state or territory who move to Victoria can apply for an equivalent licence or registration in Victoria under Mutual Recognition. (See additional information below for those who don’t reside in Victoria).

Check equivalent licences for Victoria and other states here:

Mutual Recognition is only for sole traders

Applications for electrical contractor registration under Mutual Recognition can only be made by sole traders. Associations or bodies can apply for registration as a contractor under the normal provisions of the Electricity Safety Act 1998 by completing the application form and paying the fee.

How to apply

For an electrical worker

For an electrical contractor

  • Complete the appropriate application form
  • Submit the completed application form along with certified copies (front and back) or original licences and/or registrations held in other states or territories and include evidence as to how you meet the Victorian requirements for equivalence, and
  • Pay the prescribed fee, for your application type.

Applications may be delayed if they are incomplete, or rejected if found to contain false or misleading information, or the documentation requested has not been provided or if ESV determines that the occupation for which a licence is sought is not an equivalent occupation.


It is an offence to work unlicensed or beyond the scope of a licence or registration. Offenders may be charged under the Electricity Safety Act 1998 or Regulations. Penalties range from a warning to charges heard before a Magistrates’ Court or Committee of Inquiry.

A licence or registration may be cancelled, suspended or have conditions imposed. Fines or infringement notices can also be imposed.

Penalties range up to $5000 for individuals and $25,000 for corporations.

It is your responsibility to be aware of and ensure compliance with the Electricity Safety Act 1998 and the Regulations when you undertake work in Victoria.

Working in Victoria with an interstate licence – requirements for non-residents

Licensed electricians from other states who come to work for a Registered Electrical Contractor but don’t live in Victoria must notify ESV before commencing any work.

  1. Lodge an Automatic Mutual Recognition registration form with ESV.
  2. ESV’s Licensing Section will provide a User ID and Password to will enable the worker to buy and lodge Certificates of Electrical Safety (CoES) on completion of all electrical installation work.
  3. The Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) employing the worker must include the interstate Licensed Electrician on their registered workers’ list, held either online with ESV or in the REC’s administration.

When these procedures are complete the Licensed Electrician may begin work under the normal conditions and requirements for all licensed electrical workers in Victoria.

Please note: Interstate Licensed Electricians cannot operate an Electrical Contracting business before obtaining Registration as an Electrical Contractor in Victoria.

Contact us

If you need assistance with online forms or have a query about licensing, contact our Licensing team on 1800 815 721. Please note contact hours below.

Monday, Thursday, Friday — 9:00am to 4:00pm
Tuesday — 12:30pm to 4:00pm
Wednesday — 9:00am to 12:30pm

Alternatively, you can send your enquiry to