Licensing and ESVConnect
ESV no longer accepts paper-based applications for licences or registrations.
All licensing and registration processes must be completed in ESVConnect.
New Licensing and Registration Regulations
On 1 January 2021 the Electricity Safety (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2020 came into force, replacing the 2010 Regulations, which were revoked on 31 December 2020.
ESV has produced a document summarising the key changes in the new Electricity Safety (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2020, and recommends that all electrical workers familiarise themselves with the updated regulations.
- Electricity Safety (Registration and Licensing) Regulations
- Summary document – Electricity Safety (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2020:
Read more about Lineworker Licensing.
ESVConnect is the primary system for online regulation of the electrical industry in Victoria – for licensing, REC registration, COES and registration of cathodic protection systems.
Your email address will be your unique identifier, allowing you to lodge and track your applications and maintain existing licences.
Watch: Introducing . This animated video gives a brief overview on how ESVConnect works.
Note: ESVConnect works best in . DO NOT USE Internet Explorer.
Register for ESVConnect
If you have previously held a Victorian electrical licence or registration you will need to upgrade to ESVConnect. You only need to complete this process once.
If you have not received an invitation to upgrade to the ESVConnect platform via email, please lodge an enquiry via our Licensing Contact form on the Contact us page, or call the Licensing team on 1800 815 721. You will require the details of your Online Services User ID and Password in order to upgrade to ESVConnect.
Please ensure you use a desktop or laptop computer with Google as your browser. Then upgrade to ESVConnect following the steps below:
If you have received an invitation to upgrade to the ESVConnect platform, access the ESVConnect login page .
- Select the 'Forgot password' option.
- Enter the email address your invitation was sent to, follow the prompts and if you wish to change your email address, you can do so once the upgrade process has been completed. Simply select the 'change email address' under your profile information.
If you have not received an invitation to upgrade to the ESVConnect platform, access the ESVConnect login page .
- Click on the Register for ESVConnect button.
- Select the appropriate option that relates to you and enter your LEW/REC/LEI number – if you have an LEW and REC, please enter your LEW number.
- Enter your Online Services User Id and Password as follows:
Online Services User ID: XXXXXX
- You will be prompted to set up a new ESVConnect profile – your email address will be your unique Login ID from now, so please check your email address is correct and you have access to it, as a verification code will be emailed to you after this step.
If you want to change your email address, do that here.
- Check the details on the screen: first name, last name and date of birth are yours. If the details are correct, create and confirm a password you will use to access ESVConnect.
ESV’s password policy: it must be at least 8 characters and include at least one uppercase, one lowercase and one number.
- Once you have agreed to the conditions of use and privacy notice for the upgrade, click the orange ‘Upgrade’ button.
- ESVConnect will send a verification code to your email address.
- Log into ESVConnect using the email address you used earlier and the new password you created.
- Enter the verification code that was emailed to you.
- You will need to log in one more time to access your ESVConnect profile.
- Upon initial log-in you will be required to submit your communication details.
You are now able to work on the ESVConnect licensing, registration and COES system.
Additional information on the COES certification process is available here.
ESV latest news
Subscribe online to stay in the loop with the latest news, alerts and EnergySafe Magazine.
Date: 30/03/2023 13:02
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 28 January 2023