To comply with the No Go Zone requirements a Spotter must be used when working inside specified clearances near overhead power lines. A Spotter is required for each item of plant or equipment operating in the vicinity of overhead electrical lines on any work site.
For registration as a Spotter with ESV you must provide the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with:
- High Risk licences
- Evidence of units of competency where they exist
- Verification of competency documentation
- Current first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) documentation
- Evidence of training, competency training and experience.
For items of plant such as
- an Elevated Work Platform <11 metres
- a Vehicle Mounted Crane <10 tonne / metres or
- other plant where there is no formal operating competency
evidence of training, competency and or experience must be demonstrated to obtain a Spotter Certificate.
The RTO will verify which classes Spotters will be allowed to spot for.
Once this information is received by the RTO, a completed Spotter's Registration card will be generated by ESV and sent to the applicant’s residential address or work address (depending on the details provided to the RTO).
For registered Spotters seeking to renew their registration and receive an updated registration card:
- Within three months of the expiry date of the Spotter's registration card, the Spotter must attend a Spotter's training course with an RTO, and
- Provide the RTO with all documentation verifying any new competencies achieved and current first aid and EAR documentation.
Once ESV receives this updated information from the RTO, a new card will be generated by ESV and sent to the person’s residential address or work address (depending on the details provided to ESV by the RTO).
Reissue of lost or stolen registration cards
A completed Statutory Declaration is required for ESV to reissue any licence or registration card which is lost, stolen or has not been received.Statutory Declaration
The declaration must clearly state your current address details and the Spotter registration number of the card to be reissued (if known).
Send your completed Statutory Declaration to ESV by email to email@example.com
Competency classes applied to Spotter registration cards
The competency classes of Spotters are detailed on the front of the Spotter's registration cards.
- The list of competency classes on the rear of Spotter registration cards is not an exhaustive list, and does not contain all of the competency classes.
- For additional classes to be added to a Spotter's card, the card holder needs to take the evidence for the addition of a class back to the RTO where they last completed their training. The RTO can then add the class to the Spotter's registration. A new card with updated classes will be mailed out.
The full list of competency classes that can be applied are listed here:
|Competency Class||Competency Class Code|
|Advanced Rigging (1)||RA|
|Basic Rigging (1)||RB|
|Concrete Placing Booms||PB|
|Cranes – Bridge & Gantry||CB|
|Cranes – Derrick||CD|
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (Open/Over 100 Tonnes)||CO|
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (up to 100 Tonnes)||C1|
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (up to 20 Tonnes)||C2|
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (up to 60 Tonnes)||C6|
|Cranes – Non Slewing||CN|
|Cranes – Portal Boom||CP|
|Cranes – Tower||CT|
|Elevating Work Platform (Less than 11 Metres)||WP<11m|
|Elevating Work Platform (Greater than 11 Metres)||WP>11|
|Front End Loader||LL|
|Intermediate Rigging (1)||RI|
|Skid Steer loader||LS|
|Telescopic material Handlers less than 3 tonne||TMH|
|Vehicle Loading Cranes (greater than 10metre/tonnes)||CV>10m/t|
|Vehicle Loading Cranes (less than 10metre/tonnes)||CV<10m/t|
(1) A person with a Dogman or Rigger class on their Spotter's registration card may act as a Spotter for any type of plant (without holding a ticket or demonstrating competence and experience for that item of plant).
Spotter training providers
A number of organisations provide training for Spotters in Victoria.
To be eligible to attend a training course, you must satisfy ESV’s general requirements for Spotters:General Requirements to act as a Spotter
Spotter service providers
Do you require the services of a Spotter?
See the businesses that can provide this service:
- Spotter service providers:
To add your business to this list
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org providing your contact details and confirming they are for public release.
Date: 30/03/2023 13:46
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 06 March 2023