To comply with the No Go Zone requirements a Spotter must be used when working inside specified clearances near overhead power lines. A Spotter is required for each item of plant or equipment operating in the vicinity of overhead electrical lines on any work site.
For registration as a Spotter with Energy Safe Victoria you must provide the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with:
- High Risk licences
- Evidence of units of competency where they exist
- Verification of competency documentation
- Current first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) documentation
- Evidence of training, competency training and experience.
Evidence of training, competency or experience must be demonstrated to obtain a Spotter Certificate for items of plant such as:
- an Elevated Work Platform <11 metres
- a Vehicle Mounted Crane <10 tonne / metres or
- other plant where there is no formal operating competency.
The RTO will verify which classes Spotters will be allowed to spot for.
Once this information is received by the RTO, a completed Spotter's Registration card will be generated by Energy Safe and sent to the applicant’s residential address or work address (depending on the details provided to the RTO).
For registered Spotters seeking to renew their registration and receive an updated registration card:
- within three months of the expiry date of the Spotter's registration card, you must attend a Spotter's training course with an RTO
- provide the RTO with all documentation verifying any new competencies achieved and current first aid and EAR documentation.
Once Energy Safe receives this updated information from the RTO, a new card will be generated by Energy Safe and sent to the person’s residential or work address (depending on the details provided to Energy Safe by the RTO).
Reissue of lost or stolen registration cards
A completed Statutory Declaration is required for Energy Safe to reissue any licence or registration card which is lost, stolen or has not been received.Statutory Declaration
The declaration must clearly state your current address details and the Spotter registration number of the card to be reissued (if known).
Competency classes applied to Spotter registration cards
The competency classes of Spotters are detailed on the front of the Spotter's registration cards.
- The list of competency classes on the rear of Spotter registration cards is not an exhaustive list, and does not contain all of the competency classes.
- For additional classes to be added to a Spotter's card, the card holder needs to take the evidence for the addition of a class back to the RTO where they last completed their training. The RTO can then add the class to the Spotter's registration. A new card with updated classes will be mailed out.
The full list of competency classes that can be applied are listed here:
|Competency Class Code
|Advanced Rigging (1)
|Basic Rigging (1)
|Concrete Placing Booms
|Cranes – Bridge & Gantry
|Cranes – Derrick
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (Open/Over 100 Tonnes)
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (up to 100 Tonnes)
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (up to 20 Tonnes)
|Cranes – Mobile Slewing (up to 60 Tonnes)
|Cranes – Non Slewing
|Cranes – Portal Boom
|Cranes – Tower
|Elevating Work Platform (Less than 11 Metres)
|Elevating Work Platform (Greater than 11 Metres)
|Front End Loader
|Intermediate Rigging (1)
|Skid Steer loader
|Telescopic material Handlers less than 3 tonne
|Vehicle Loading Cranes (greater than 10metre/tonnes)
|Vehicle Loading Cranes (less than 10metre/tonnes)
(1) A person with a Dogman or Rigger class on their Spotter's registration card may act as a Spotter for any type of plant (without holding a ticket or demonstrating competence and experience for that item of plant).
Spotter training providers
A number of organisations provide training for Spotters in Victoria.
To be eligible to attend a training course, you must satisfy Energy Safe’s general requirements for Spotters:General Requirements to act as a Spotter
Spotter service providers
Note: This is a referral service only. Energy Safe does not endorse or have commercial arrangements with these providers.
John Carr Spotters Australia
225 Point Cook Rd
Point Cook VIC 3030
Mobile: 0418 399 710 Fax: 03 8353 1456
Construct Spotting Services
Mentone VIC 3194
Mobile: 0434 922 395
Blackrock VIC 3193
Mobile: 0419 415 925
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: 03 9018 9797
Mobile: 0408 351 436
Darren Wilson Spotters R Us
Hawthorn VIC 3122
Mobile: 0468 455 545
STA Traffic Management Solutions
Yarraville VIC 3013
Mobile: 0418 808 809
Telephone: 03 9687 4044
David Phillips Energy Safe Spotter
Sunbury VIC 3429
Mobile: 0425 717 359
Julie Van Ryswyk
Spotter for all Machinery
South Melbourne VIC 3205
Mobile: 0410 646 080
Civil Connections: Spotters,
VEDN Contractors & Auditors
Williamstown North VIC 3016
Mobile: 0498 101 345
Statewide Electrical Spotters
Epping VIC 3076
Mobile: 0431 728 493
Melbourne Electrical Spotters
North Sunshine VIC 3020
Mobile: 0459 348 565
Trades Workforce Solutions
Level 1/ 174 Fairbairn Rd
Phone: 0438 029 350 or 1800 764 893
Look Up Electrical Spotting
Reservoir VIC 3073
Download this list
Spotter service providers:
To add your business to this list
Provide your contact details and confirm they are for public release.
Date: 22/02/2024 4:21
The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.
Reviewed 09 January 2024