Energy Safe Victoria

Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Gas – Heritage gas heaters

Energy Safe Victoria is urging Victorians with either a Vulcan Heritage or a Pyrox Heritage gas heater in their home NOT TO USE THEM until they are serviced by a qualified gasfitter.

Victoria’s Director of Energy Safety, Paul Fearon, said both the Pyrox and Vulcan brands of the Heritage heater produce high levels of carbon monoxide under certain conditions.

“If the house is well sealed and the heater is operating at the same time as a kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan, carbon monoxide from the heater can be drawn into living areas,” he said.

“The manufacturer, Climate Technologies, has a program in place to service these heaters.”

Anyone with a Pyrox or a Vulcan heritage gas heater should call Climate Technologies on (03) 8795 2462

For people living in DHHS housing, please call 1800 148 426.

Open flue heaters, like the Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage space heater, are old technology and not necessarily compatible with many new or renovated homes with less ventilation.

As a result, and in addition to the servicing and replacement program now in place, all Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage space heaters have been withdrawn from sale and their manufacturer has ceased production.

“This is a timely reminder that everyone should have indoor gas appliances, especially heaters, serviced by a qualified gasfitter every two years,” Mr Fearon said.

Heritage space heaters – Q&A

All Victorians with a Vulcan Heritage or a Pyrox Heritage gas space heater in their home need to get them serviced by a qualified gasfitter immediately.

Laboratory tests show that open flue heaters such as the Heritage may, under certain operating conditions, produce too much carbon monoxide if they are not properly installed and maintained.  All Victorians with a Vulcan Heritage or a Pyrox Heritage gas space heater in their home must have them serviced by a qualified gasfitter immediately.

The combination of inadequate ventilation as well as operating bathroom exhaust fans or kitchen range hoods at the same time as the heater can draw carbon monoxide into living areas. The risk is increased if the heaters and associated components such as the flue are not regularly serviced.

What do I do?

If you have one of these heaters, do not use it until it can be serviced by a qualified gasfitter. A complete service should include testing for carbon monoxide spillage, an inspection of the flue and ventilation.

In the meantime, please use alternative sources of heating. DO NOT bring outdoor gas appliances inside such as a patio heater. This is dangerous and could also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

For people living in DHHS housing

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has a program in place to have all Vulcan Heritage gas space heaters or Pyrox Heritage gas space heater in their properties serviced.

Phone DHHS on 1800 148 426 for more information.

For private homes

Contact the manufacturer Climate Technologies to arrange for a service of the heater and assessment of the installation environment by a qualified gasfitter (to be appointed by Climate Technologies). Climate Technologies will provide a $150 rebate towards the cost.

If a problem is detected, Climate Technologies will discuss a range of options with you, including servicing or maintenance of the heater, or increasing ventilation. If the heater needs to be decommissioned, Climate Technologies will contribute to the cost.

Phone Climate Technologies on (03) 8795 2462 for more information.

Why hasn’t ESV recalled these heaters?

While ESV has the power to enforce a recall, our chief concern is community safety. The quickest and most effective way to ensure community safety is to work cooperatively with the manufacturer to ensure Heritage heaters are checked by qualified gasfitters and, if necessary, decommissioned.

I have a Vulcan water heater – is that affected?

No, Vulcan gas water heaters are not affected by this issue. The program in place is for Vulcan or Pyrox Heritage gas space heaters only. We recommend getting all gas appliances serviced every two years.

What is a qualified gasfitter?

All registered and licensed gasfitters are issued with a photo ID card that lists the type of work they are allowed to do. All practitioners should carry this ID and you can request to see it at any time.

Check that the qualified gasfitter is endorsed to service Type A gas appliances (their photo ID will include this information) and has the training to detect carbon monoxide spillage.

You can also check if a gasfitter is licensed or registered online, using the Victorian Building Authority directory.

What has happened?

ESV has established a number of failures with the product certification process.

Open-flue heaters like the Pyrox and Vulcan Heritage space heaters are old technology and are not necessarily designed to operate in better-sealed, newer houses that may have less ventilation. In most older houses, carbon monoxide can simply escape via the heater’s flue or chimney.

They were first manufactured in 1977 and many have been replaced with different kinds of heaters.

In addition to the servicing and replacement programs in place, all Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage space heaters have been withdrawn from sale and their manufacturer has ceased production.

How do I tell if my heater is a Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage?

The heaters concerned can be easily identified be the Vulcan or Pyrox branding and the ‘Heritage’ marking on the front fascia in the lower left hand corner. This marking is visible in the photos above.

What is a space heater?

As the name suggests, a space heater is designed to heat a particular space rather than the entire house. So, a space heater in a living room is designed to heat the living room only.

What is the difference between open flue and room sealed heaters?


The best way to determine whether your heater is room sealed or open flue is to contact the manufacturer and provide them with the brand and model of your heaters.

Certified open flue space heaters

Energy Safe Victoria has compiled a list of certified open flue space heaters based on information provided by the five certification bodies.

At this time, the Vulcan/Pyrox Heritage is the only model of heater for which a safety alert has been issued.

However, anyone who has any one of the models of heater on this list should have it serviced and tested for carbon monoxide (CO) spillage at least every two years.

There are several ways to determine whether your heater is open flue:

  • Contact the manufacturer
  • Ask a qualified gasfitter during regular servicing.

More information

Click the links below for more information.

Who to contact

Renters –  contact your landlord if you have any concerns about your gas heater.
Consumer Affairs Victoria can assist with disputes between renters and landlords.

Homeowners – contact a registered gasfitter or gas plumber to service your heater and check for CO spillage.

If you are worried about symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning contact Nurse-On-Call on 1300 60 60 24 or call 000 for an emergency.

If you have any queries in relation to gas safety in the home, contact ESV on 03 9203 9700 or by email on