AS/NZS 5601 amendments
AS/NZS 5601.1:2013 and AS/NZS 5601.2:2013 amendments 11 May 2016
ESV advises that Amendment 2 for AS/NZS 5601.1:2013 Gas Installations – General Installations and Amendment 1 for AS/NZS 5601.2:2013 Gas Installations – LP Gas Installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes were published by Standards Australia on 11 May 2016.
Standard AS/NZS 5601:2013 is in two parts
Part 1 covers the requirements for general gas installations while Part 2 specifically deals with LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes.
Each part of this standard is a standard in its own right and hence a practitioner who works on LP Gas installations for caravans and boats only requires Part 2.
Practitioners who do not conduct gasfitting work in caravans and boats require only Part 1.
Part 1 amendments
The following summary highlights the most significant amendments to Part 1.
- Addition of cross linked polyethylene PEX pipe complying with AS/NZS 2492 as consumer piping for gas applications (not to be confused with multilayer composite pipe complying with AS 4176.8)
- Requirement to install a chimney liner where the integrity of a chimney is unsatisfactory. (A definition for a chimney liner has been included)
- New diagram for fan assisted gas appliances (e.g. continuous flow water heaters) installed on balconies
- New requirement for a cooking appliance installed in a combined living/sleeping area to be installed below a range hood ducted to outside
- New requirement for commercial catering appliances installed in residential premises
- New requirement for the installation of gas BBQs and radiant gas heaters designed for outdoor use
- Updated Appendix R spillage test for flued appliances.
Part 2 amendments
The following is a summary of some of the most significant amendments to Part 2.
- New diagram for the mounting of an LPG cylinder in a caravan including clearances from openings into the living space
- New requirement for the installation of gas BBQs and radiant gas heaters designed for outdoor use.
- New pipework strength and gas tightness test
- To review amendments to Part 2, as presented to the Caravan Industry Association of Victoria please click here
Purchase the standard
Copies of both parts of this standard, AS/NZS 5601.1:2013 and AS/NZS 5601.2:2013, can be purchased as a set or alternatively as separate parts through SAI Global, here.
You will need to register with SAI Global to make a purchase.
If you have any queries in relation to standard AS/NZS 5601 and its application, please contact our Gas Technical Helpline directly on 1800 652 563 or at email@example.com.